Saturday, January 19, 2008

A Fresh Start

NOW that I'm no longer active in the Underground Literary Alliance (though still a supporter), I'm free to engage in new outreach to literary people.

I've always been an "Inclusive" person, not wanting to exclude anyone. Even with the ULA-- no one was asked to leave during my tenure, though over the years several left on their own. I always made myself available to criticism from members and outsiders alike-- eventually was overwhelmed by it.

The main misconception: That because I advocated FOR excluded writers, and criticized several unjustly rewarded literary Insiders, some thought I meant to exclude those Insiders from the literary-world pie. (As if I ever could!) They were projecting onto me their own exclusionary attitudes. What I sought is for everyone to have access to said pie. That remains my goal.

Bottom line: I'm now a free agent. It's an opportunity to make a new beginning. In that spirit I'm reaching out to lit people of all kinds. I've taken off my war paint and picked up a peace pipe.

No comments: